Climate change has made it clear. The move to sustainability is more than a choice; it’s a necessity. SmartLifeco is at the forefront of environmental health with eco-friendly dental care products.
You may be surprised to learn how much dental products contribute to environmental waste. In America, approximately one billion plastic toothbrushes are thrown away each year, contributing to 50 lbs. of waste!
Most dental floss and its containers are made from non-biodegradable plastic. If everyone in America flossed as often as they should and threw out their containers, we would have enough waste to fill a football field.
SmartLifeco is attempting to solve the issue with our eco friendly toothbrush and floss products. We use wheat, bamboo, and other sustainable materials to reduce the world’s carbon footprint and create a zero-waste world.
Bamboo: A Better Choice
Most toothbrushes are made of nonbiodegradable plastic, meaning it doesn’t break down naturally. Instead, it stays in the environment for years emitting toxins that are harmful to humans and wildlife.
Additionally, most plastics are made from oil, gas, or coal. These fuel-based materials contribute to climate change. When plastic is burned, it releases these materials into the atmosphere.
The environmental solution is to replace plastic toothbrushes with bamboo toothbrushes.
Bamboo is a sustainable material because it grows remarkably fast. It can grow 35 inches per day. It also self-generates from its roots. As a result, it doesn’t require as much water or fertilizer. Too much fertilizer can be harmful to ecosystems. It can also run off into streams and harm sea life and wildlife.
Bamboo also produces minimal greenhouse gas emissions. It is biodegradable and compostable. It releases oxygen into the atmosphere.
Unlike wooden toothbrushes that may have a rough grip or poorly placed bristles, our bamboo toothbrushes are splinter-free, making them a great choice for the entire family. They are also made with super soft bristles that don’t wear your enamel while still providing a deep clean.
Swap Your Plastic Flossers for Straw Wheat
Dental floss is also harmful to the environment. Dental floss containers and picks are typically made of plastic. The floss itself is usually nylon, Teflon, or synthetic wax which takes ages to break down.
Straw wheat is an eco-friendly alternative. It is made from a wheat byproduct called lignin which is responsible for helping wheat stand up straight. It’s a highly durable material that’s perfect for products that require structure and stability.
It’s also BPA-free and food-grade so it’s ideal for flossing.
The straw wheat in SmartLifeco products is gluten-free and celiac-safe.
We use only the stalks of the wheat to make our products. We use the straw after the product has been harvested to ensure it does not contain gluten. Then we rigorously test the product to double-check its gluten-free properties.
Other Sustainable Ingredients We Use
We use bamboo to make our sustainable toothbrush products and straw wheat to make our floss. But it doesn’t end there. Here are some of the other environmental materials we use in our products.
- Kraft Paper: We use FSC-certified kraft paper to manufacture our bags and boxes. The paper is naturally biodegradable. It can be absorbed by the environment in weeks without any environmental impact.
- PLAs: Many companies use polyfluorinated substances (PFAs) in their manufacturing processes. They do not break down in the environment and can contaminate water and soil. We use polylactic acid (PLAs) which are made from plant-based, renewable materials.
- Nylon-4: Most toothbrush bristles are made of nylon, a non-renewable resource that requires significant energy to produce. Our eco-friendly toothbrush bristles are made with nylon-4, which is biodegradable and recyclable.
- All-Natural Mint: Floss manufacturers typically use artificial flavors to enhance the flossing experience. These flavors may contain allergens and toxins. We flavor our floss with all-natural products like mint leaves, water, and vegetable oil.
- Candelilla Wax: Even eco-friendly flosses may be coated with beeswax, which is not considered vegan. We use candelilla wax, a plant-based material that is chemical-free, vegan-friendly, and hypoallergenic. It even contains vitamin A and other nutrients that benefit gums and tooth enamel.
Brushing your teeth may help your dental health, but mainstream dental products are hurting the environment. SmartLifeco offers a solution with our sustainable toothbrush and floss products made from natural ingredients that are kind to humans, wildlife, and Mother Earth.Shop our products to make caring for your teeth a more sustainable choice.